Flicker Street Studio: Classes and Workshops

Monday, April 5, 2010

Making Art






Tuesday, April 6th is the first day of class for a new session that I am teaching, called Making Art. The session will explore different ways of approaching the complex task of interpreting our three dimensional world onto a flat two dimensional surface.

I am going to start the session off with an investigation of line. According to Matisse, " Drawing is like making an expressive gesture with the advantage of permanence."

The students are going to draw a relatively simple still life with a variety of materials: Brush and Ink, Watercolor Crayons, Pencils, Pens, Conte Crayon, Graphite Chunks. Exploring materials and the lines that one can make with them will be the crux of the class.

I believe that drawing is a very intimate means of expression and I hope to encourage my students to find a way to that private joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment